Re: First draft of back-branch release notes is done

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: First draft of back-branch release notes is done
Date: 2023-02-06 02:39:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> On 2/5/23 3:01 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Fair. I was trying to avoid committing to specific consequences.
>> The assertion failure seen in the original report (#17702) wouldn't
>> occur for typical users, but they might see crashes or "unexpected node
>> type" failures. Maybe we can say that instead.

> I did a quick readthrough of #17702. Your proposal sounds reasonable.

> Based on that explanation and reading #17702, I'm still not sure if this
> will make the cut in the release announcement itself, but +1 for
> modifying it in the release notes.

The notes now say

<para>
Prevent clobbering of cached parsetrees for utility statements in
SQL functions (Tom Lane, Daniel Gustafsson)
</para>

<para>
If a SQL-language function executes the same utility command more
than once within a single calling query, it could crash or report
strange errors such as <quote>unrecognized node type</quote>.
</para>