Re: Non-superuser subscription owners

From: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Date: 2021-11-17 23:07:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Nov 17, 2021, at 1:10 PM, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com> wrote:
>
> I think you misunderstood the idea: not using predefined roles, just
> plain old ordinary GRANT on a subscription object to ordinary roles.
>
> GRANT REFRESH ON SUBSCRIPTION sub1 TO nonsuper;
>
> This should be easy enough because the subscription is a real object,
> right?

/*
* Grantable rights are encoded so that we can OR them together in a bitmask.
* The present representation of AclItem limits us to 16 distinct rights,
* even though AclMode is defined as uint32. See utils/acl.h.
*
* Caution: changing these codes breaks stored ACLs, hence forces initdb.
*/
typedef uint32 AclMode; /* a bitmask of privilege bits */

#define ACL_INSERT (1<<0) /* for relations */
#define ACL_SELECT (1<<1)
#define ACL_UPDATE (1<<2)
#define ACL_DELETE (1<<3)
#define ACL_TRUNCATE (1<<4)
#define ACL_REFERENCES (1<<5)
#define ACL_TRIGGER (1<<6)
#define ACL_EXECUTE (1<<7) /* for functions */
#define ACL_USAGE (1<<8) /* for languages, namespaces, FDWs, and
* servers */
#define ACL_CREATE (1<<9) /* for namespaces and databases */
#define ACL_CREATE_TEMP (1<<10) /* for databases */
#define ACL_CONNECT (1<<11) /* for databases */

We only have 4 values left in the bitmask, and I doubt that burning those slots for multiple new types of rights that only have meaning for subscriptions is going to be accepted. For full disclosure, I'm proposing adding ACL_SET and ACL_ALTER_SYSTEM in another patch and my proposal there could get shot down for the same reasons, but I think your argument would be even harder to defend. Maybe others feel differently.

Mark Dilger
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company