Re: Problems with precompiled pgsql on mac

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Elmers <p(dot)elmers(at)gmx(dot)de>
Cc: Thomas Pundt <thomas(dot)pundt(at)rp-online(dot)de>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems with precompiled pgsql on mac
Date: 2007-04-10 14:30:52
Lists: pgsql-admin

Peter Elmers <p(dot)elmers(at)gmx(dot)de> writes:
> The problem is not solved, but we reduced it: it occures only if
> apple remote desktop is running. So switching off ARD results in a
> running postgresql system.
> But this can only be a workaround. Does anybody know why the two
> programs do not work together? Google says that ARD uses postgres,
> too. But we are using another port and another user...

Yeah, I believe ARD does have an embedded postgres instance. You might
be running into Apple's ridiculously low system-wide SHMMAX setting;
it's only big enough to let one postgres run at a time, unless you
hobble performance by reducing shared_buffers etc well below default.
See our manual for how to increase SHMMAX on OS X --- it's trickier
than it ought to be :-(