Re: [HACKERS] Re: missing function datetime()

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: missing function datetime()
Date: 2000-02-28 16:26:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu> writes:
>> I can see two ways to do that: either add another function to pg_proc
>> (five of them actually :-(), or hack the parser to translate a function
>> name 'datetime' to 'timestamp'. Ugly as the second one sounds, it has
>> a couple of advantages.

> xlateSqlFunc() is already in gram.y; enjoy...

Will do, just wanted to see if you approved or not.

When you finish catching up on the back email, I'd like to know what
you think about the question of comment lexing. Should we change scan.l
so that it will recognize /* or -- as comment starters even if they are
embedded in what would currently be considered a long operator token?
If so, is it OK to depend on yyless() to do it, or is that a flex-ism?

I'd also kind of like to put in a test to detect unterminated comments
and literals. The flex manual recommends <<EOF>> but that only works
in flex. I was speculating that a rule for <xq> followed by nothing
might work, if all the other <xq> rules match at least one character.
Thoughts?