Re: Rewrite, normal execution vs. EXPLAIN ANALYZE

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(dot)tiikkaja(at)cs(dot)helsinki(dot)fi>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Rewrite, normal execution vs. EXPLAIN ANALYZE
Date: 2010-08-04 20:14:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I seriously doubt that there are many applications out there that are
>> actually depending on this aspect of rule execution; if anything, there
>> are probably more that will see it as a bug.

> Changing EXPLAIN ANALYZE seems a bit less likely to break things for
> anyone depending on current behavior;

Well, the point I was trying to make is that there may well be fewer
people depending on the current behavior than there are people for whom
the current behavior is wrong, only they don't know it because they've
not seen a failure (or not seen one often enough to diagnose what's
happening).

This is of course merest speculation either way. But I don't feel that
we need to necessarily treat rule behavior as graven in stone.