Re: PQprepare case sensitive?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PQprepare case sensitive?
Date: 2007-06-08 15:05:28
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 09:56:42AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Yes, it's assumed that any quoting/dequoting has already happened by the
>> time the name gets into the protocol message.

> But shouldn't this be documented? I failed to find it. But then this
> wouldn't be the first time I fail to find the right place in
> documentation.

Well, the point is that downcasing and quote-stripping are things that
happen in the context of parsing names within SQL statements. We don't
do that for other names that are sent by themselves in the protocol,
such as user and database names in the startup message. So I would not
expect it to happen for statement names either.