Re: what is and who owns postgresql type of questions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: schen(at)graciousstyle(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: what is and who owns postgresql type of questions
Date: 2005-03-17 17:55:22
Lists: pgsql-novice

Si Chen <schen(at)graciousstyle(dot)com> writes:
> 1) PostgreSQL is copyright the "PostgreSQL Global Development Group."
> What is the "PostgreSQL Global Development Group"? Is it a non-profit,
> a company, or some other kind of entity?

PGDG is not formally incorporated anywhere, if that's what you mean.
It's just what the members of the development community call ourselves.
There have been discussions off and on about setting up an actual legal
entity, but the conclusion has always been that there's more downside
than upside. A legal entity would be open to getting sued, and it
wouldn't actually *do* anything that we need done.

> 2) Does the "PostgreSQL Global Development Group" own the source code of
> PostgreSQL and release it under the BSD license?

I don't think anyone can be said to own the source code. Given the
exceedingly loose BSD licensing terms, it hardly matters. You can
pretty much do anything you want with the code anyway.

> 3) Does it also own the "PostgreSQL" trademark? Or is "PostgreSQL"
> trademarked?

PostgreSQL, Inc. has a Canadian trademark on the name "PostgreSQL".

> 4) I noticed there is also a PostgreSQL, Inc. in Canada, and they
> provide the servers and facilities for the postgresql project. Other
> than that, are they just another consulting/support organization for
> PostgreSQL, or are they also the main organizers/sponsors of the project?

The former, I'd say. There isn't any "main organizer" of the community.
It should also be noted that the project infrastructure is getting more
distributed --- it's not all Marc's machines anymore.