Re: Where to get official SQL spec (was Re: Domain Support)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Rod Taylor" <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca>, "Hackers List" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Where to get official SQL spec (was Re: Domain Support)
Date: 2002-03-22 02:29:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

"Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> I seem to have parts 1-5 .txt of sql99 on my computer here. I ftp'd them
> off some ftp site yonks ago. Anyone want them? Is it legal for me to have
> them or distribute them?

My understanding of the legal situation is that what's circulating
around the net in plain text form is *draft* versions of the spec.
It is okay to redistribute these freely. The *official* version
you are supposed to pay for.

No, I don't know how close the drafts really are to the final.

Personally I tend to consult the draft versions more than the PDF
versions anyway, because it's vastly easier to search flat ASCII
files than PDFs ... so I sure hope they're pretty close ...