Re: Foreign table permissions and cloning

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Shigeru Hanada <hanada(at)metrosystems(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Foreign table permissions and cloning
Date: 2011-04-20 13:59:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Shigeru Hanada <hanada(at)metrosystems(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> Attached patch implements along specifications below. It also includes
> documents and regression tests. Some of regression tests might be
> redundant and removable.

> 1) "GRANT privilege [(column_list)] ON [TABLE] TO role" also work for
> foreign tables as well as regular tables, if specified privilege was
> SELECT. This might seem little inconsistent but I feel natural to use
> this syntax for SELECT-able objects. Anyway, such usage can be disabled
> with trivial fix.

It seems really seriously inconsistent to do that at the same time that
you make other forms of GRANT treat foreign tables as a separate class
of object. I think if they're going to be a separate class of object,
they should be separate, full stop. Making them just mostly separate
will confuse people no end.