Re: Too many open connections

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Petros Mylonopoulos <petros(at)gate(dot)v3(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Too many open connections
Date: 2001-01-15 15:35:01
Lists: pgsql-novice

Petros Mylonopoulos <petros(at)gate(dot)v3(dot)com> writes:
> I keep getting the following error message:
> Warning: PostgreSQL: Too many open links (2)

> I've searched in the DOCs and FAQs, but no luck. How do I increase the
> maximum number of connections? I've started postmaster with "-N 64 -B
> 128".

That's not a too-many-open-connections error. I don't know what it
is, in fact --- but I can tell you there is no such error message
string anywhere in the 7.0.* source code, because I just looked.
It must be coming out of some non-PG code, perhaps a startup script
or the C library.

What PG version are you using, on what platform? Exactly when and where
does this message show up?