Re: BUG #3707: failure cases in reindex don't always report enough information to diagnose the issue

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Rene Gollent" <rgollent(at)asteriasgi(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3707: failure cases in reindex don't always report enough information to diagnose the issue
Date: 2007-10-29 20:49:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Rene Gollent" <rgollent(at)asteriasgi(dot)com> writes:
> If you issue a REINDEX DATABASE, which then fails due to db corruption (i.e.
> could not create index due to duplicate values), the resulting error message
> only specifies:
> ERROR: could not create unique index
> DETAIL: Table contains duplicated values.

Hmm. It would be fairly easy to mention the index name here (less so to
mention the table name, but I think you'd really need to know which
index is the problem, anyway). ISTR that when this error message was
written the index *wasn't* known at the place where the message was
being emitted, but we do have it now ...