Re: [patch] [doc] Minor variable related cleanup and rewording of plpgsql docs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [patch] [doc] Minor variable related cleanup and rewording of plpgsql docs
Date: 2021-03-12 20:36:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> pá 12. 3. 2021 v 21:08 odesílatel Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> napsal:
>> I attach a v3 that I like better, although there's room to disagree
>> about that.

> I am not sure if people can understand the "optimizable command" term. More
> common categories are DML, DDL and SELECT. Maybe it is easier to say. DDL
> statements don't support parametrizations, and then the variables cannot be
> used there.

Yeah, but DML/DDL is a pretty squishy separation as well, besides
which it'd mislead people for cases such as CREATE TABLE AS SELECT.
(Admittedly, I didn't mention that in my version either, but if you
think in terms of whether the optimizer will be applied then you
will draw the right conclusion.)

Maybe there's no way out but to specifically list the statement types
we can insert query parameters in.