Re: 64-bit pgsql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai(at)wxs(dot)nl>
Cc: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 64-bit pgsql
Date: 2003-09-05 16:28:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai(at)wxs(dot)nl> writes:
> Using a snapshot of September the 4th:

> creating template1 database in /p/scratch/asmodai/postgresql-snapshot/src/test/r
> egress/./tmp_check/data/base/1... FATAL: could not create semaphores: No space
> left on device
> DETAIL: Failed syscall was semget(4, 17, 03600).

> I mean, I just want to know if you guys still want to support the low
> SysV settings. If not I just need to ask the admins of the system in
> question to bump the values a bit.

If it dies even at max_connections 10, that is a *lower* setting than we
ever supported before (the pre-7.4 default was 32, and you need 20 or
more to run the parallel regression test). I suspect that you actually
don't have SysV semaphores enabled at all on that machine. There would
be no point in trying any smaller values.