Index row requires 9324 bytes maximum size is 8191

From: solAris23 <vikas(dot)kumar(at)dolcera(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Index row requires 9324 bytes maximum size is 8191
Date: 2009-09-18 16:06:44
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hello,

I am trying to index a field in my database of size about 16K rows, but i m
getting this error.

" Index row requires 9324 bytes maximum size is 8191 "

Can anyone please guide me how to remove this error....

Also, average time to search for a query in a table is taking about 15
seconds. I have done indexing but the time is not reducing.....
Is there any way to reduce the time to less than 1 sec ???
The type of indexing which I am performing on the field is btree... My field
contains large text. Is there any more suitable indexing type ??