Re: Fix typos and inconsistencies for v16

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fix typos and inconsistencies for v16
Date: 2023-04-18 02:11:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Tue, 18 Apr 2023 at 06:00, Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Also, maybe OID_MAX should be removed from src/include/postgres_ext.h as it's unused since eb8312a22.

> I didn't touch this. It seems like it could be useful for extensions
> and client apps even if it's not used in core.

Agreed, bad idea. For better or worse, that's part of our client API now.

>> Beside that, this simple script:
>> for w in $(cat src/tools/pgindent/typedefs.list); do grep -q -P "\b$w\b" -r * --exclude typedefs.list || echo "$w"; done
>> detects 58 identifiers that don't exist in the source tree anymore (see typedefs.lost attached).
>> Maybe they should be removed from typedefs.list too.

> I didn't touch this either. typedefs.list normally gets some work
> done during the pgindent run, which is likely going to happen around
> May or June.

Yeah, it will get refreshed from the buildfarm output [1] pretty soon.
A quick check says that as of today, that refresh would add 81 names
and remove 94. (Seems like a remarkably high number of removals,
but I didn't dig further than counting the diff output.)

regards, tom lane

[1] https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/typedefs.pl?show_list