Re: Proposal for updating src/timezone

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: John Cochran <j69cochran(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal for updating src/timezone
Date: 2014-07-18 17:21:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

John Cochran <j69cochran(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> My proposal is the have the following directory structure

> .../src/timezone - Would have only PostgreSQL specific code
> .../src/timezone/tznames - would be unaltered from current (optionally this
> could be removed)
> .../src/timezone/iana - would contain unaltered code and data from IANA

> The .../src/timezone/data directory would be removed.

I am not in favor of doing anything to the data/ directory. If we can
have unaltered tzcode source files in their own subdirectory, that'd be
great, but I see no advantage to smashing the IANA code and data files
together. Furthermore, doing so would break the existing ability to just
cherry-pick tzdata update commits into back branches.

Part of my thought here is that we do generally just dump tzdata updates
into our tree without much thought, but I don't think that will ever be
the case for tzcode updates; we'll want to look at those with more care,
and probably we'll not back-patch them.

> 1. I would have liked to recommend 2 sub-directories underneath
> .../src/timezone/iana named "code" and "data", but unfortunately have to
> suggest untarring both the code and data files directly into the iana
> directory. The reason for this is that the IANA code does not compile using
> the IANA Makefile unless the script yearistype.sh is present and that
> script is currently present in the data tar file, not the code tar file.

I have exactly zero expectation of using their Makefile, so this is not a
concern.

> 2. Depositing the IANA code unaltered would also deposit some "junk" files
> into the directory. The files would mainly consist of man pages and html
> files containing documentation for the timezone code. The extra files would
> consume approximately 500 kilobytes above what's actually needed, but
> otherwise wouldn't have any adverse effects.

We're not doing that either, IMO. Why should we invest 500K of tarball
space on that?