Re: hardware - generic

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Allison <tallison(at)tacocat(dot)net>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: hardware - generic
Date: 2006-11-08 00:43:35
Lists: pgsql-novice

> But, I'm not sure what kind of hardware I should focus on.
> What's the most important thing to get first, second, third?
>
> I don't think I have the $$ to get a 8 drive 15K RPM SCSI array with 32GB RAM
> and quad CPU's - though it might be nice in the winter as a space heater.
>
> Most of what I'm seeing right now is actually CPU bound on this machine and
> another (2GHz AMD) so I'm wondering if I'm better off getting multiple CPU's
> over one really huge one (or a multi-core).
>
> Stuff like that.... What's your experience?

I've read the first link but not the second link. Your hardware could be undersized, but it is
hard to say without knowing the actual number of concurrent connections. Also, what exactly are
you experiencing when you say that your server is not able to keep up? What does a vmstat 1 10
show while you are experiencing slow preformance. Do you have sufficently aggressive autovaccum
setting? Also, have you adjusted any of your postgresql.conf parameters?

http://www.powerpostgresql.com/PerfList/
http://www.postgresql.org/files/documentation/books/aw_pgsql/hw_performance/0.html

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.