Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: simple script to pull together a very small (<500k) tar file

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: simple script to pull together a very small (<500k) tar file
Date: 2007-10-30 17:50:16
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> Interesting ... may I inquire what is this for? And why was it applied
> so late in the cycle, without any previous proposal or discussion?

This is an outgrowth of a core discussion that really should've been
taken public before anything was done about it. Tut tut Marc --- after
watching Jan get raked over the coals for adding a contrib module
without public discussion, did you really think this would be considered
OK?

Anyway, before any more complaints ensue: the discussion was about
whether it's still worth creating the "split tarballs" version
of Postgres releases. You can't really get away without downloading
all the sections, but we've seen more than one newbie try to do that
and get confused. The tentative conclusion among core was that we
should abandon the current split setup, but that it'd be worth seeing
if a cut-down tarball good only for building libpq could be provided.
So Marc went off to experiment with that. But we need to have a
public discussion before implementing the plan ...