Re: libpq debug log

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Iwata, Aya" <iwata(dot)aya(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: "'Yugo Nagata'" <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libpq debug log
Date: 2018-09-04 00:57:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Iwata, Aya" <iwata(dot)aya(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com> writes:
> The purpose of this log acquisition I thought is to identify where is the problem:
> server side, application side or traffic.

TBH, I think the sort of logging you're proposing would be expensive
enough that *it* would be the bottleneck in a lot of cases. A lot
of people find that the existing server-side "log_statement" support
is too expensive to keep turned on in production --- and that logs only
received SQL queries, not the returned data, and certainly not every
message passed over the wire.