Re: Solaris 8 regression test failure with 8.0.0beta5

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kenneth Marshall <ktm(at)is(dot)rice(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Solaris 8 regression test failure with 8.0.0beta5
Date: 2004-11-25 06:45:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kenneth Marshall <ktm(at)is(dot)rice(dot)edu> writes:
> Here are the diffs for the regression test failures on Solaris 8.
> The tests work fine on Redhat9 and Redhat Enterprise Linux 3.

... and most other platforms ...

> select 1/0;
> ! ERROR: floating-point exception
> ! DETAIL: An invalid floating-point operation was signaled. This probably means an out-of-range result or an invalid operation, such as division by zero.

This query would invoke the following code in int4div:

if (arg2 == 0)
ereport(ERROR,
(errcode(ERRCODE_DIVISION_BY_ZERO),
errmsg("division by zero")));

result = arg1 / arg2;

I suggest directing some strong words to your compiler vendor. If the
"if" test doesn't complete before the subsequent division causes a trap,
that is not our problem.