Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #5650: Postgres service showing as stopped when in fact it is running

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Mark Llewellyn <mark_llewellyn(at)adp(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Sujeet Rajguru <sujeet(dot)rajguru(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #5650: Postgres service showing as stopped when in fact it is running
Date: 2010-11-17 22:23:54
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Possibly the cleanest fix is to implement pg_ping as a libpq function.
>> You do have to distinguish connection failures (ie connection refused)
>> from errors that came back from the postmaster, and the easiest place to
>> be doing that is inside libpq.

> OK, so a new libpq function --- got it. Would we just pass the status
> from the backend or can it be done without backend modifications?

It would definitely be better to do it without backend mods, so that
the functionality would work against back-branch postmasters.

To my mind, the entire purpose of such a function is to classify the
possible errors so that the caller doesn't have to. So I wouldn't
consider that it ought to "pass back the status from the backend".
I think what we basically want is a function that takes a conninfo
string (or one of the variants of that) and returns an enum defined
more or less like this:

* failed to connect to postmaster
* connected, but postmaster is not accepting sessions
* postmaster is up and accepting sessions

I'm not sure those are exactly the categories we want, but something
close to that. In particular, I don't know if there's any value in
subdividing the "not accepting sessions" status --- pg_ctl doesn't
really care, but other use-cases might want to tell the difference
between the various canAcceptConnections failure states.

BTW, it is annoying that we can't definitively distinguish "postmaster
is not running" from a connectivity problem, but I can't see a way
around that.