How to install postgresql-8.4.1-1-windows.exe by ZIP archive binaries

From: Newperson <useintowngas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to install postgresql-8.4.1-1-windows.exe by ZIP archive binaries
Date: 2009-09-10 02:43:56
Lists: pgsql-novice

Dear all,

I want to install postgresql-8.4.1-1-windows.exe, however when I click
the exe file, a Visual studio JIT Debugger was appeared with message "An
unhandled win32 exception occurred in postgresql-8.4.1-1-windows.exe[240].

Also I do not have admin priviledges, so I decide to install it by ZIP
archive binaries.

I have read a post
http://www.nabble.com/how-to-install-postgresql-on-windows-without-admin-privileges-td25155968.html
http://www.nabble.com/how-to-install-postgresql-on-windows-without-admin-privileges-td25155968.html
but do not know how to "run initdb from the commandline to create the
database cluster. To start the server, simply run "pg_ctl -D
\Path\To\Datadir start".
Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Moreover, what is the difference between the two methods of installations?
(from exe and binaries)
My OS system is windows XP.
Thanks

Newperson