Re: UPPER()/LOWER() and UTF-8

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alexey Mahotkin <alexm(at)w-m(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UPPER()/LOWER() and UTF-8
Date: 2003-11-04 21:52:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alexey Mahotkin <alexm(at)w-m(dot)ru> writes:
> I'm running Postgresql 7.3.4 with ru_RU.UTF-8 locale (with UNICODE
> database encoding), and all is almost well, except that UPPER() and
> LOWER() seem to ignore locale.

upper/lower aren't going to work desirably in any multi-byte character
set encoding. I think Peter E. is looking into what it would take to
fix this for 7.5, but at present you are going to need to use a
single-byte encoding within the server. (Nothing to stop you from using
UTF-8 on the client side though.)