From: "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Ajin Cherian <itsajin(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Synchronizing slots from primary to standby
Date: 2023-10-09 05:21:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 10/6/23 6:48 PM, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 4, 2023 at 5:34 PM Drouvot, Bertrand
> <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>>> Same understanding. We do not need it to be set on primary by user. It
>>> will be GUC on standby and standby will convey it to primary.
>>
>> +1, same understanding here.
>>

> At PGConf NYC, I had a brief discussion on this topic with Andres
> where yet another approach to achieve this came up.

Great!

> Have a parameter
> like enable_failover at the slot level (this will be persistent
> information). Users can set it during the create/alter subscription or
> via pg_create_logical_replication_slot(). Also, on physical standby,
> there will be a parameter like enable_syncslot. All the physical
> standbys that have set enable_syncslot will receive all the logical
> slots that are marked as enable_failover. To me, whether to sync a
> particular slot is a slot-level property, so defining it in this new
> way seems reasonable.

Yeah, as this is a slot-level property, I agree that this seems reasonable.

Also that sounds more natural to me with this approach. The primary
is really the one that "drives" which slots can be synced. I like it.

One could also set enable_failover while creating a logical slot on a physical
standby (so that cascading standbys could also have "extra slot" to sync as
compare to "level 1" standbys).

> I think this will simplify the scheme a bit but still, the list of
> physical standby's for which logical slots wait during decoding needs
> to be maintained as we thought.

Right.

> But, how about with the above two
> parameters (enable_failover and enable_syncslot), we have
> standby_slot_names defined on the primary. That avoids the need to
> store the list of standby_slot_names in logical slots and simplifies
> the implementation quite a bit, right?

Agree.

> Now, one can think if we have a
> parameter like 'standby_slot_names' then why do we need
> enable_syncslot on physical standby but that will be required to
> invoke sync worker which will pull logical slot's information?

yes and enable_sync slot on the standby could also be used to "pause"
the sync on standbys (by disabling the parameter) if one would want to
(without the need to modify anything on the primary).

> The
> advantage of having standby_slot_names defined on primary is that we
> can selectively wait on the subset of physical standbys where we are
> syncing the slots.

Yeah and this flexibility/filtering looks somehow mandatory to me.

> I think this will be something similar to
> 'synchronous_standby_names' in the sense that the physical standbys
> mentioned in standby_slot_names will behave as synchronous copies with
> respect to slots and after failover user can switch to one of these
> physical standby and others can start following new master/publisher.
>
> Thoughts?

I like the idea and I think that's the one that seems the more reasonable
to me. I'd vote for this idea with:

- standby_slot_names on the primary (could also be set on standbys in case of
cascading context)
- enable_failover at logical slot creation + API to enable/disable it at wish
- enable_syncslot on the standbys

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot