Re: Row vs. tuple

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Row vs. tuple
Date: 2003-03-15 01:06:33
Lists: pgsql-docs

> In some places the documentation uses the term "tuple" to mean "row
> version" (in the MVCC sense). This choice of terms is puzzling me; where
> does it come from? In the literature available to me, the term "tuple" is
> used as the mathematical equivalent of "row", meaning that
> table/row/column parallels relation/tuple/attribute.

Well, "row version" isn't a particularly standard term either. I'd
prefer a one-word term. I think that the use of "tuple" for this can be
traced back to the Berkeley code.

I concede that it's not standard usage anyplace else ... but the whole
concept of row versions isn't real standard in most DBs.

(Anyone know what Oracle calls 'em?)