Re: SearchSysCacheTuple(Copy)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SearchSysCacheTuple(Copy)
Date: 2000-11-14 15:39:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
>> A more serious objection to SearchSysCacheTupleCopy is that once the
>> tuple is copied out of the syscache, there isn't any mechanism to
>> detect whether it's still valid. If an SI message arrives for a
>> recently-copied tuple, we have no way to know if we have a problem
>> or not.

> Is it more serious than doing the wrong thing silently ?

It'd still be doing the wrong thing silently, in my opinion.

This class of bugs has been there since the beginning of Postgres,
so I do not feel that we need to panic about it. Let's take the
time to design and implement a proper solution, rather than expending
effort on a stopgap solution that'll have to be undone later.