Re: Add statistics_collector_listen_addresses to fix hard-coding of "localhost"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Young <yayooo(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, GavinFlower <gavinflower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>, Pg Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add statistics_collector_listen_addresses to fix hard-coding of "localhost"
Date: 2011-10-28 16:35:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Robert Young <yayooo(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> You got no knowledge about "client applications".
> What you said is your assumption.
> Without knowledge, you should consider them equivalent.
> PG got no priority.

Look, we will explain this once more. Postgres is entitled to assume
that "localhost" means the local machine; there are Internet standards
saying so. On the other hand, client applications that assume the
database server is on the same machine they are on are definitely
broken, and need to be fixed.