Observation about db response time

From: <akshay(at)airtightnetworks(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Observation about db response time
Date: 2005-08-27 15:58:57
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hello Friends,
We were having a database in pgsql7.4. The database was responding very
slowly even after full vacuum (select
count(*) from some_table_having_18000_records was taking 18 Sec).

We took a backup of that db and restored it back. Now the same db on
same PC is responding fast (same query is taking 18 ms).

But we can't do the same as a solution of slow response. Do anybody has
faced similar problem? Is this due to any internal problem of pgsql? Is
there any clue to fasteen the database?

Regards,

akshay