Re: [HACKERS] Unworkable column delimiter characters for COPY

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "Patches (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Unworkable column delimiter characters for COPY
Date: 2007-12-28 04:25:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> It seems we ought to forbid delimiter from matching CSV
>> quote or escape characters. I'll let you clean up that case though...

> This should do the trick - I'll apply it tomorrow.

A couple thoughts:

* This test needs to appear further down --- it is not sensible until
after you've checked strlen() == 1 for all the strings involved.

* I see that we disallow the CSV quote character from appearing in the
null_print string, but not the escape character. Is this
correct/sensible? If it is correct, maybe the delimiter could also
match the escape character?