Re: Small patch to replace 'idle' by 'trans' if transaction is still open

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Christof Petig <christof(dot)petig(at)wtal(dot)de>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Small patch to replace 'idle' by 'trans' if transaction is still open
Date: 2000-10-14 16:27:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> Sounds like a good start. But would it be possible/desirable for a utility
> program to map the lock manager tables directly?

The utility program would have to be able to attach to the shared memory
segments holding the locktable and associated spinlocks. And if you
did it that way, you couldn't inspect the locktable remotely without
duplicating a bunch more postmaster/backend code. Offhand it seems to
me that "start an additional backend and use it to look at the
locktable" is the best way to approach this.

This does raise an interesting point though: do we need any security on
this new SHOW command? Like, say, only allow it to superusers?