Re: Error with Softlinks after using pg_upgrade

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Paul(dot)Weiler(at)itdz-berlin(dot)de
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Error with Softlinks after using pg_upgrade
Date: 2017-03-02 17:07:07
Lists: pgsql-bugs

<Paul(dot)Weiler(at)itdz-berlin(dot)de> writes:
> as far as I can see, I found a bug with the tool pg_upgrade under PostgreSQL 9.6.2. After upgrading from Version 9.5.3 to 9.6.2 I still couldn't start the database with the normal command pg_ctl start.
> Only after using the path /usr/pgsql-9.6/bin/pg_ctl start it worked correctly. As far as I could find out, it's a problem with a softlink. The softlink pgsql-pg_ctl shows still to "/usr/pgsql-9.5/bin/pg_ctl". The faulty softlink is located in /etc/alternatives.

pg_upgrade, per se, doesn't and cannot know about such things ---
/etc/alternatives is a platform-specific concept and any symlinks placed
there must have been created by a platform-specific packaging of Postgres.

I expect that the packager provided some upgrade instructions that would
involve running pg_upgrade as one step. Try looking into whatever README
or similar files were included in your Postgres RPMs.

If you were following a package-specific upgrade recipe, then this is a
bug in the recipe --- but you'd need to report it to the packager, not
to the PG project.