Re: ALTER TABLE lock strength reduction patch is unsafe

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ALTER TABLE lock strength reduction patch is unsafe
Date: 2011-06-17 21:36:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I have been thinking for a while now that it would be sensible to make
> vacuum use a different lock type, much as we do for relation
> extension.

Hmm. I had just been toying with the idea of introducing a new
user-visible locking level to allow separation of anti-vacuum locks from
anti-schema-alteration locks. But I think you're probably right that it
could be done as a specialized LockTag. That would make it not easily
user-accessible, but it's hard to think of reasons for users to lock out
vacuum anyway, unless they want to lock out everything via
AccessExclusiveLock.

> ... In particular, it's currently not
> possible to lock a table against SELECT without also locking it
> against VACUUM

Well, it still wouldn't be, since AccessExclusiveLock certainly had
better lock out vacuum. As said above, I think the important thing
is to distinguish vacuum from schema changes.

> But that's not something I want to do in 9.1,

Definitely.