Re: Datatype misrepresentation DTS with SQL Server

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Matt Wedgwood" <mwedgwood(at)TONYSANCHEZ(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Datatype misrepresentation DTS with SQL Server
Date: 2002-02-08 19:07:50
Lists: pgsql-odbc

"Matt Wedgwood" <mwedgwood(at)TONYSANCHEZ(dot)com> writes:
> I'm trying to use the "Import and Export Data" (DTS) tool included with
> MS SQL Server to push data to a PostgreSQL 7.1.3 database via an ODBC
> connection. Everything works great, except if I try to use the
> bigint/int8 data type for columns on the PostgreSQL side. DTS
> incorrectly sees the int8 datatype as "char" and therefore ties to shove
> a space-padded representation of the integer into the table.

You could try hacking the source code of the PG ODBC driver. I note
this in pgtypes.c:

/* Change this to SQL_BIGINT for ODBC v3 bjm 2001-01-23 */
case PG_TYPE_INT8:
return SQL_CHAR;

Don't know whether DTS will actually recognize SQL_BIGINT, but it's
worth a try. SQL_NUMERIC could be worth trying too, if BIGINT fails.