Re: Problem with database: FATAL 1: cannot find attribute 24

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Tauren Mills" <tauren(at)servlets(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Problem with database: FATAL 1: cannot find attribute 24
Date: 2001-09-18 17:59:40
Lists: pgsql-general

"Tauren Mills" <tauren(at)servlets(dot)net> writes:
> Thanks for the help! I'm afraid I do not know how to do this. Is there
> somewhere that specifically explains how to run a standalone backend under
> gdb? How would I set a breakpoint at elog or get a stack trace?

You should look at the gdb documentation, but running a standalone
backend under gdb isn't hard:

gdb path-to-postgres-executable

gdb> break elog
gdb> run command-line-arguments-for-standalone-backend
... break at elog
gdb> bt (backtrace)
gdb> cont (continue till next breakpoint)

gdb> quit (when done)

> Does the RPM version of Postgres include debugging symbols,

Not sure, but I doubt it. If you don't see a symbolic backtrace
including routine names and argument values, then you haven't got
debugging symbols. In particular, if you can't see the string
being passed to elog then you'll have trouble telling which breakpoint
stop is the interesting one ...