Re: Allow WindowFuncs prosupport function to use more optimal WindowClause options

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Erwin Brandstetter <brsaweda(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, Vik Fearing <vik(at)postgresfriends(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Allow WindowFuncs prosupport function to use more optimal WindowClause options
Date: 2022-10-17 23:18:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Erwin Brandstetter <brsaweda(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I am thinking of building a test case to run
> - all existing window functions
> - with all basic variants of frame definitions
> - once with ROWS, once with RANGE
> - on basic table that has duplicate and NULL values in partition and
> ordering columns
> - in all supported major versions

> To verify for which of our window functions ROWS vs. RANGE never makes a
> difference.
> That should be obvious in most cases, just to be sure.

> Do you think this would be helpful?

Doubt it. Per the old saying "testing can prove the presence of bugs,
but not their absence", this could prove that some functions *do*
respond to these options, but it cannot prove that a function
*doesn't*. Maybe you just didn't try the right test case.

If you want to try something like that as a heuristic to see which
cases are worth looking at closer, sure, but it's only a heuristic.