Re: could not determine encoding for locale "et_EE.UTF-8": codeset is "CPUTF-8" in pg_restore

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Andrus" <kobruleht2(at)hot(dot)ee>
Cc: "pgsql-general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: could not determine encoding for locale "et_EE.UTF-8": codeset is "CPUTF-8" in pg_restore
Date: 2020-03-29 01:33:47
Lists: pgsql-general

I wrote:
> (I do agree that that message isn't the most helpful thing. It looks
> like chklocale.c is overoptimistically assuming that what it's handed
> is valid, even if GetLocaleInfoEx says it isn't.)

After further digging, that optimism isn't *completely* without
foundation; it seems to be based on the fact that we know setlocale()
thought the locale string was OK. Which is interesting --- apparently
Microsoft is more willing to accept Unix-style locale names than
I thought. But they couldn't be bothered to make GetLocaleInfoEx()
and setlocale() take the same set of strings ...