Re: Non-superuser subscription owners

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2023-03-24 07:17:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2023-03-22 at 12:16 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> I've posted a
> patch for that at
> http://postgr.es/m/CA+TgmoaSCkg9ww9oppPqqs+9RVqCexYCE6Aq=UsYPfnOoDeFkw@mail.gmail.com
> and AFAICT everyone agrees with the idea, even if the patch itself
> hasn't yet attracted any code reviews. But although the two patches
> are fairly closely related, this seems to be a good idea whether that
> moves forward or not, and that seems to be a good idea whether this
> moves forward or not. As this one has had more review and discussion,
> my current thought is to try to get this one committed first.

The current patch (non-superuser-subscriptions) is the most user-facing
aspect, and it seems wrong to commit it before we have the security
model in a reasonable place. As you pointed out[1], it's not in a
reasonable place now, so encouraging more use seems like a bad idea.

The other patch you posted seems like it makes a lot of progress in
that direction, and I think that should go in first. That was one of
the items I suggested previously[2], so thank you for working on that.

Regards,
Jeff Davis

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA%2BTgmoavSQVcvEW3ZgZ7a1Q-TJ-fp0%2BNt7W3D7FCawArtTCBCQ%40mail.gmail.com