Re: Restoring 8.2 to 8.0

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Fitzpatrick <lists(at)webtent(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Restoring 8.2 to 8.0
Date: 2007-06-01 22:40:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Robert Fitzpatrick <lists(at)webtent(dot)net> writes:
> I have a dump from 8.2 restored to file that was pg_dump'd with format c
> from a production server. I want to know if it is possible for me to
> restore this to a 8.0 development server where I am not able to upgrade
> at this time.

I don't think you'll have much alternative but to manually edit the dump
file. If I were you I'd dump the schema as text, hack it until it
loads, then do a data-only dump in Fc or whatever format you want.

FWIW the specific errors you're mentioning have to do with SERIAL
columns, so if that's all you're seeing then it should be a pretty
simple set of edits.

You might want to divvy up the schema into stuff to apply before the
data load and stuff to apply after --- indexes and foreign keys go in
the latter set. See the performance tips about "populating a database".