Re: Median missing from aggregate functions page

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: steven(dot)winfield(at)cantabcapital(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Median missing from aggregate functions page
Date: 2016-12-23 15:21:39
Lists: pgsql-docs

steven(dot)winfield(at)cantabcapital(dot)com writes:
> The index contains an entry for &quot;median&quot; on the aggregate functions page,
> but there is no mention of it there.

Hm --- that <indexterm> entry is attached to the percentile_cont()
function, which can be used to implement median, but I agree that
a person who already knew that would probably not be following the
index pointer.

It might be more useful to point to 4.2.7. Aggregate Expressions
which contains a concrete example of how to implement median
with percentile_disc().

Another idea is to just make the index entry say
"See percentile_cont() and percentile_disc()".