Re: reducing isolation tests runtime

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: reducing isolation tests runtime
Date: 2019-02-13 15:58:50
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> On 2019-Feb-13, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Some of the slower buildfarm critters use MAX_CONNECTIONS to limit
>> the load on their hosts. As long as the isolation tests honor that,
>> I don't see a real need for a separate serial schedule.

> MAX_CONNECTIONS was the only reason I didn't push this through. Do you
> (Andres) have any solution to that?

Doesn't the common pg_regress.c infrastructure handle that?
We might need to improve isolation_main.c and/or the isolation
Makefile to make it accessible.

I suppose that in what I'm thinking about, MAX_CONNECTIONS would be
interpreted as "max number of concurrent isolation scripts", which
is not exactly number of connections. A quick and dirty answer
would be to have isolation_main.c divide the limit by a factor of 4
or so.