Re: Dollar Quoting doc patch--resend.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Dollar Quoting doc patch--resend.
Date: 2004-05-06 12:07:34
Lists: pgsql-patches

> On 6-May-04, at 12:41 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> OK. I am just afraid if we show 4 functions, and three use $$, and one
>> doesn't use single-quotes inside, so we quote with single-quotes, that
>> it would look strange.

> Personally I don't think it would look that strange, but maybe that's
> just me. Does anyone else want to weigh in here?

I think we *have to* show examples both ways, otherwise people will get
the impression that they *must* use $$ quotes and that all their
existing function definitions are broken.

I don't mind if the bulk of the examples are converted to whatever
seems clearest, but certainly the CREATE FUNCTION reference page
has to show both alternatives.