Re: allowed user/db variables

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andreas Pflug <Andreas(dot)Pflug(at)web(dot)de>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: allowed user/db variables
Date: 2003-06-25 13:53:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

>>> I was considering adding this and the stuff Andreas requested to
>>> pg_settings (but not "SHOW ALL" or "SHOW x" unless people feel it's
>>> important to kept them consistent with pg_settings). Were the Red Hat
>>> guys going to do this?
>>
>> pg_settings would be fine for phpPgAdmin.
>>
> Same for pgAdmin3.

I agree with this plan also. I'm not sure if the RH guys had intended
to get around to this or not --- it's not on their shortlist of stuff
they need for their tools.

The proposed patch from RH includes addition of descriptions to the
variables' table entries in guc.c. It might make sense to include these
as a column in pg_settings as well; but if we do then changing the view
would have to wait till that patch is submitted and accepted. (I was
offline yesterday but it doesn't look like anything's been done; I will
remind 'em that feature freeze is hard upon us.)