Re: audit table containing Select statements submitted

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Hogan, James F(dot) Jr(dot)" <JHogan(at)seton(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: audit table containing Select statements submitted
Date: 2006-05-13 01:03:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Hmmm... well why don't we add log_line_suffix :)

Doesn't help; you'd also need logic in there to quote any XML tags
appearing in the message text. At that point, adding a
"log_line_suffix" is a transparent pretense of generality --- what
you might as well do is just have a full-fledged "emit the log in XML"
switch.

(I concur with Andrew's comments that this is pretty silly, unless
someone wants to go to the further work of XML-ifying the message
contents to some reasonable extent. If you are going to have to write a
parser to make sense of the message contents, it is really pretty lame
to claim that you can't cope with parsing the current log format as-is.)