Re: backup manifests

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: backup manifests
Date: 2019-09-20 15:24:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 9/20/19 9:46 AM, Robert Haas wrote:

> least, I think you do. There's probably some way to create a callback
> structure that lets you presuppose that the toplevel data structure is
> an array (or object) and get back each element of that array (or
> key/value pair) as it's parsed,

If a JSON parser does find its way into src/common, it probably wants
to have such an incremental mode available, similar to [2] offered
in the "Jackson" library for Java.

The Jackson developer has propounded a thesis[1] that such a parsing
library ought to offer "Three -- and Only Three" different styles of
API corresponding to three ways of organizing the code using the
library ([2], [3], [4], which also resemble the different APIs
supplied in Java for XML processing).

Regards,
-Chap

[1] http://www.cowtowncoder.com/blog/archives/2009/01/entry_132.html