NOTICE about updating to 7.1beta6 from earlier betas

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-announce(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: NOTICE about updating to 7.1beta6 from earlier betas
Date: 2001-03-16 16:39:09
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-general

If you're currently running any 7.1 beta release, and you want to update
to 7.1beta6 (or later) without doing an initdb, you *MUST* run the
contrib utility contrib/pg_resetxlog after shutting down your old
postmaster. This will update your pg_control and XLOG files to their
new formats. See the README in that directory for detailed instructions.

If you get a complaint about incorrect PG_CONTROL_VERSION when you try
to start the new software, you forgot this step.

Please note that there was a nasty bug lurking in version 1.1 of
pg_resetxlog; it's fixed in 1.2 committed last night. Don't use 1.1
(or if you already did, I recommend a dump/initdb/reload before you hit
problems).

regards, tom lane