Re: Fix for cross compilation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fix for cross compilation
Date: 2005-05-30 18:11:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The problem is that the program zic in src/timezone/ is built and run
> during the build process, which doesn't work if it's compiled by a
> cross-compiler.

Why don't we instead arrange to run it during install?

I'm not real thrilled with the notion of trying to use a zic built by a
different compiler; I think that will lead to all sorts of problems,
considering that the files it's meant to write are binary and
at least potentially architecture-specific. Also there's the problem
that it is reading a pg_config.h that is definitely platform-specific.

BTW, the truth of the matter is that we've never supported
cross-compilation; see all the AC_TRY_RUN operations in configure.