Re: contrib loose ends: 9.0 to 9.1 incompatibilities

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: contrib loose ends: 9.0 to 9.1 incompatibilities
Date: 2011-02-16 22:03:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr> writes:
>> Well, actually, we *do* have such a mechanism (plpgsql), we just don't
>> want to use it unless we have to. I wouldn't feel too bad about saying
>> "upgrading tsearch2 directly from 9.0 to 9.4 requires that you have
>> plpgsql installed when you issue the CREATE EXTENSION command".

> We will then need "build"-time requires (build-depends would say debian)
> so that the system knows what's needed to run the install or upgrade
> scripts.

Huh? It's still an install-time dependency, and anyway the failure
would be pretty obvious. Please let us not spend time garnishing this
facility with unnecessary stuff, when the list of actually *important*
missing stuff is still a mile long. Think about what's needed to
support procedural languages as extensions, for starters. I'll give you
a hint: none of it has anything whatever to do with copying features
from RPM or Debian.