Re: Lost tables in Postgres 7.1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Steve Burrows <steve(at)jla(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Lost tables in Postgres 7.1
Date: 2006-02-13 17:25:33
Lists: pgsql-admin

Steve Burrows <steve(at)jla(dot)com> writes:
> Some of my tables have spontaneously disappeared. They are not visible
> in pg_class. vacuuming pg_class (as suggested by Tom Lane for someone
> with a similar problem) did not cause them to reappear.

Not on 7.1 it wouldn't :-(. That hack is dependent on the behavior of
the transaction ID wraparound code that we introduced in 7.2.

First check if this actually is a wrap issue: create a new row and see
if its xmin is small or large. If small, I think the only recourse in
7.1 is to set the XID counter to something just a bit less than 4G,
pg_dump, initdb and reload. If you dig around in the archives from
a few years back you should find discussion of exactly how to do that,
but I've surely forgotten the details.