Re: Impact of a name change on third parties (was: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL))

From: "vincent" <vinny(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Impact of a name change on third parties (was: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL))
Date: 2007-08-31 08:33:56
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Just to blurb an observer's view on this:

Taking 'SQL' out of the name may make it easier to pronounce, but those
who have trouble pronouncing it now already have their own name for it.
Here in Holland we call PostgreSQL simple 'pg' or 'pgsql' (which is quite
easy to say in dutch) and that will not change if the official name
changes to 'postgres'. If the aim is to make it easier to pronounce, youd
have to do away with the "stgre" bit.

I also wonder how those who are unfamiliar with pg will see this
namechange, is it a sign of internal strength or is it an attempt to
become more wellknown by making the making the name 'flashier'.

And finally ofcourse my wonderfull and often used "PostgreSQL The Mug" mug
will suddenly be seriously out of fashion.