Re: Install extensions using update scripts (was Re: Remove superuser() checks from pgstattuple)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Install extensions using update scripts (was Re: Remove superuser() checks from pgstattuple)
Date: 2016-09-11 18:19:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Pushed with adjustments for the review points. Hopefully this will make
Stephen's life easier, along with others submitting contrib-module
updates. We should urge anyone who submits an old-style extension update
patch to consider whether they really want to bother with a new base
script.

At some point it might be nice to have an articulated project policy
about when a new base script is or isn't appropriate, but I doubt we
have enough experience to lay one down now.